I just love the look of all things related to Dia de los Muertos. I can’t get enough of the bright colors and funky designs, which lead me to make this appliqué tutorial. If you’re new to appliqué check out this post for detailed beginner information and pictures.
1. Print the pattern (provided below) and trace onto your adhesive paper. Attach adhesive paper to backside of fabrics and cut out design pieces.
2. In this example I used a fun fabric (get it at this great etsy shop) with a skull print. I then just cut out the skulls and proceeded as normal. Whether you’re using the printed skull design or special fabric, it’s now time to peel off the adhesive paper backing and layout the design.
3. Once you’re pleased with the look, iron on the design according to your adhesive directions.
4. Sew along each piece of the design.
5. Trim all loose threads.
7. This project’s done, so enjoy. I used a tea towel to embellish here, but I think this design would look great on a tote bag, decorative pillows or even a sweatshirt (like the derby girl design).
Click to get the Free Pattern:
If you have any questions leave a comment. And once you’ve made this project, please share photos. I love to see other people’s completed projects.